CATEGORY ARCHIVE: 5 things i'm excited about on a friday
| Next »
5 Things I’m Excited About on the first Friday in March
March 6, 2009 | by brett | Permalink
With all the negative stuff going on in today’s times, it is important that we still see the positives. Every Friday I challenge myself to identify 5 things that I’m excited about. It’s usually not too hard, and makes the day that much more enjoyable after reflecting on the good stuff that’s happening.
Here’s the five things I’m excited about, and I hope that you comment below with whatever is exciting to you on this Friday morning.
1) With the unemployment rate now at 8.1%, its highest rate since 1983 and the highest in my lifetime, I’m excited to have a job.
2) I’m excited that my mom is coming in town today. We’re going to catch a couple Giants spring training games, one of which is against the Oakland A’s.
3) I’m excited about a few of the interviews we’ve got coming up. We’re interviewing a couple people involved with Arizona BioDiesel next Tuesday, a jewelry cutter, a windpower manufacturer, the San Francisco Giants PA announcer, and some people who work in healthcare. That’s in the coming weeks.
4) I’m excited that the book process is coming along, although ever so slowly. I made a purchase of a ISBN number yesterday, along with a barcode. That officially makes us official.
5) I’m excited about the prospect of adding 35+ new career videos to our site. Although it wasn’t Pursue the Passion who completed the work, it would be us who is the beneficiary. Be on the lookout for that soon. In the meantime, here’s a sample of one of the videos…
What are you excited about?
5 Things Im Excited About on the Last Friday in February
February 27, 2009 | by brett | Permalink
Cheers to the last Friday in February. Here’s the 5 things I’m excited about on this Friday.
1) The Pursue the Passion Entrepreneurship Conference…which starts in an hour…250 high school students from FBLA have all done Pursue the Passion interviews to get to U.S. Airways Center to learn about Entrepreneurship from 4 workshops, and of course, a Phoenix Suns game.
3) Coding Camp. Should be getting the last ‘skeleton’ update on our site tomorrow to arrange our interviews in a way that people can actually use them. Then it will be time to put some meat on it.
4) My San Francisco Giants Flag. Spring training has started and yesterday I received my San Francisco Giants flag in the mail. It is now flying high in my front yard for the duration of an optimistic spring.
5) I’m excited about seeing our videos play on the Phoenix Suns jumbotron. Plenty of pictures and videos from the next two days to come. In the meantime, we’ve got some cool stuff to look at on our flickr account.
What are you excited about?
5 Things I’m Excited About on Friday, February 20th
February 20, 2009 | by brett | Permalink
As usual, here’s the top 5 things I’m excited about on a Friday.
1) The Pursue the Passion Entrepreneurship Conference. I haven’t given this event much pub because I wasn’t sure how it was going to turn out…but it’s coming together nicely. Next Friday 250 high school kids who have done Pursue the Passion interviews will come together at U.S. Airways Center (where the Phoenix Suns play) to be recognized for their interviews and learn a thing or two from workshops. The workshops include Leon Quann (motivational speaker), Brenda Combs (recipient of recognition letter from former First Lady Laura Bush), Travis Hearn (the Phoenix Suns chaplain), and a local golf pro who is going to teach the students how to golf. The conference will have a keynote speaker from the Suns, and a closing award ceremony where we will recognize students for the interviews they done. Here’s one video that a student did…
2) I’m super excited about keynoting the Ohio SHRM conference on September 17th with a keynote called ‘Gen Y @ Work: An Inside Look at What our Generation Wants’ AND the North Dakota SHRM conference on September 30th with our signature keynote, ‘Pursue the Passion.’ Both of those keynotes came in this week.
3) I’m excited about the prospect of going on tour again to promote the book and documentary. Right now, the tour is just prospective, and not reality at all. I’d like to ask you to make it a reality by spreading the word that we’re looking for speaking engagements at high schools, colleges, companies, and conferences all across the country. No place is out of reach. All that we request is that the venue in which we speak purchase some books for attendees. In return, attendees will be blown away by our presentations that range from ‘finding passion in work’ to ‘what should I do with my life?’ to ‘gen Y at work.’ Hell, if you find us a place to speak, you get a free book and documentary. Thank you.
4) The San Francisco Giants starting Spring Training. I’m a big Giants fan, and I live a block away from the stadium. I already saw the manager walking around my neighborhood. So I’m excited for a solid month of major league baseball in the Scottsdale sunshine, and possibly interviewing some people involved with the organization.
5) As always, I’m excited about the video we’re releasing on Monday. It has an excellent beginning and ending, in my biased opinion, and I’d encourage you to sign up for the newsletter if you already haven’t so you can receive the video. For those of you who are on the newsletter, you’re in for a treat on Monday morning.
Whew, that’s a lot of excitement. What are you excited about on the 20th of February?
5 Things Im Excited About on Friday the 13th, 2009
February 13, 2009 | by brett | Permalink
1) Coding Camp. It’s back again. You might remember the last coding camp, we got a new design on our homepage. This time around, we’ll be making some changes to the design and functionality of our interview pages.
2) Getting Nerdy. Today I’m going out to eat lunch with a group that calls themselves the ‘Tempe Nerds’ at YC’s in Tempe. You’re welcome to join if you want to talk about techie stuff.
3) Exploring Book Options. Yesterday I posted on my Facebook profile that I was thinking about outsourcing book publishing to China. From that post, I received a few angry comments, but also three new contacts who had contacts within book publishing…in America. So I’m excited about exploring those leads, and the fact that Facebook status updates produce more instant feedback than any tool out there.
4) Pursue the Passion Entrepreneurship Conference. You might have seen a soft promotion of our upcoming Pursue the Passion Entrepreneurship Conference on February 27th, but this week it really started to pick up some steam. We will have about 250 students from the state of Arizona shuffle into U.S. Airways Center (where All-Star Weekend is being held right now, click here to read an interview we did with the guy who created All Star Weekend) and they’ll participate in 2 breakout sessions along with an award ceremony for the best Pursue the Passion interview the students conducted. I’m looking for one more breakout session presenter to join Leon Quann, Brenda Combs, and the Phoenix Suns chaplain. If you know of anyone, let me know.
5) The Video of the Week. I haven’t seen the video yet, but I know Zach has produced one that will be released on Monday featuring a female battalion chief of a Phoenix firehouse. It’ll be dope, so stay tuned and spread the word by having educators sign up for our newsletter.
What are you excited about on Friday the 13th?
5 Things I am Excited About on 2-6-09
February 6, 2009 | by brett | Permalink
1) I’m excited about getting our videos into classrooms. Yesterday I presented at the Annual Mid-Year Business Education Conference and had about 25 teachers sign up to receive our weekly career videos in our newsletter. So I’m excited about the word spreading throughout education.
2) I’m excited about the video Zach has yet to show me but will be released on Monday. It corresponds with an awesome visit to the video game company Rainbow Studios, where we interviewed eight different people involved with making games. Zach’s trying out a new thing with the video, so stay tuned.
4) I’m excited to ‘go green’ and get some interviews in industries we don’t have much content for. This includes green jobs. If you know of anyone out there with a ‘green job,’ holler at me.
5) I’m excited that the forecast this weekend in Phoenix is for rain. This means I can work on the book and not be distracted by clear skies and 80 degree weather. It’s like the line in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off: ‘How can they expect us to work when it’s this nice outside?’
What are you excited about on this lovely Friday?
5 Things Im Excited About on 1-30-09
January 30, 2009 | by brett | Permalink
It’s an exciting Friday, and here’s 5 reasons why.
1) We got a keynote in Washington DC booked this week. I’ll be talking about ‘What Our Generation Wants’ to 350 finance and accounting professionals involved with ASAE. May 14th.
2) I’m excited that one of our videos got 3,700+ views on Metacafe.
3) I’m excited about this weekend. For those of you who have never attended, the FBR Open (a PGA golf tournament in Scottsdale) is arguably the craziest sporting event around. It’s Happy Gilmore meets spring break. It’s pure pandemonium. And yet, it’s still just golf. I’m excited to attend. And then, attend again on Sunday. And then, throw a Super Bowl party in our front yard. Anyone in Scottsdale is invited.
4) I’m excited that I’m getting out of the office in a ½ hour to go interview a battalion fire chief. And then we’ll be out of the office again as we visit Rainbow Studios on Tuesday to interview a bunch of video game designers involved with the Deadly Creature video game release. Should be a couple entertaining interviews.
5) I’m excited about the interview we’re releasing on Monday. The long awaited rocket scientist video will be out, and we’ll be trying a couple different new things. One idea which includes you. You’ll like it. I hope.
And of course, this blog wouldn’t be complete if I didn’t ask you what you were excited about. So comment below with your best of bestest.
5 Things Im Excited About on the first Friday with Obama as President
January 23, 2009 | by brett | Permalink
1) I’m excited to go speak to 650 students at Metro Tech High School today.
2) I’m excited that when I asked the question, ‘We’re interviewing a rocket scientist tomorrow…what question should I ask?’ that I received about 18 comments on Facebook. That just goes to show the power of social networks. (P.S.- the most popular question I received was- ‘Does saying you’re a rocket scientist help you out when you’re at the bar?’ The answer was unexpected- the rocket scientist actually says he’s a fireman.)
3) I’m excited about the video of the day we’re releasing on Monday featuring the Director of Animal Management at the Phoenix Zoo. For a sneak peek, visit Jobing.com and you’ll see it on the homepage.
4) I’m excited that we have a new President. That should actually be number one on the list.
5) I’m excited about meeting with the top high school in Arizona next week to talk about how our Pursue the Passion videos can fit in with their career classes.
What are you excited about?
5 Things I’m Excited About on Friday, January 16th
January 16, 2009 | by brett | Permalink
1) To release our first video on Monday. You can get a sneak peek here: http://phoenix.jobing.com/video_details.asp?segment=25718&i=51525
2) For Katie Visco, who will be running across the country in a couple months to inspire people to pursue their passion. Check out her website at www.paveyourlane.com, and I’d encourage you to make a donation, even if it’s allowing her to shower at your place when she comes through your city.
3) To start using Twitter. I joined this week. Follow me at www.twitter.com/thatpassionguy
4) Next week we could be interviewing a rocket scientist. That will be interesting. Stay tuned because I’ll be asking you what questions we could ask him.
5) I’m excited to see if any of the proposals I sent to SHRM (society of human resource management) will be accepted so Zach and I will speak at an annual state conference.
What are you excited about?
5 Things I’m Excited About on Friday, January 9th
January 9, 2009 | by brett | Permalink
1) I’m excited that I’ll be learning how to build a website tomorrow. From 2-6, I’ve been blessed to begin ‘Coding Camp’ with none other than the talented Kristen Zirkler, one of the imaginary minds who helped build Jobing.com. She also designed the graphics on our RV. We’re going to geek out and learn how to build brettfarmiloe.com over a four hour period. Calzones at The Side Door are the only form of payment.
2) I’m excited for changes on the horizon. I can feel it. Almost taste it. And it will probably happen next week. I don’t know what it is, or else I’d tell you. But I’m excited to find out.
3) I’m excited that I just handed in my article for Go Jobing magazine. The article is about how to recruit Gen Y by relating your company’s brand, but it’s really just me spouting my opinions and supporting it with examples. If it gets published, that would be something.
4) I’m excited that we did our first interview of the new year with a freelance radio journalist this week. Video to come shortly. Next week we’ll be interviewing the Director of Animal Control at the Phoenix Zoo. After that, who knows.
5) I’m excited that we were able to speak this week and influence a group of 120 unemployed Scottsdale residents, and that next week we’ll be speaking to over 700 students at Central High School in Phoenix.
Didn’t this week back to work feel long? What are you excited about on this Friday, the 9th?
5 Things I’m Excited About On The First Friday of The New Year
January 2, 2009 | by brett | Permalink
It’s the first Friday of the New Year, and here’s the 5 things I’m excited about…
1) I’m excited about seeing the results of SHRM (Society of Human Resource Management) conference seeds planted. Tis the season to take advantage of SHRM “Call for Speakers” proposals across the country. Zach and I have submitted proposals to about 35 different states thus far…and I’m excited to see if anything comes of it. The majority of the proposals we submitted were entitled ‘Gen Y @ Work: An Inside Look at What Our Generation Wants.’ But we also had quite a few ‘Pursue the Passion’ proposals for good measure.
The ones I’m really holding out for- Atlanta, North Carolina, and Portland.
2) I’m excited for 2009. I plan on becoming much more in tune with the web and utilizing some of the tools that are out there. This includes learning how to build a website (next weekend I’m going to coding camp), exploiting facebook, and webinars.
3) I’m excited the San Francisco Giants signed pitcher Randy Johnson. The Giants don’t look that bad on the mound now. Lincecum, Johnson, Zito, Cain, and Lowry/Sanchez.
4) I’m excited to try and make money for the first time in my life. When Pursue the Passion was created, it wasn’t intended to make any revenue. It needed enough donations and sponsorships to just scrape by. Then it became a program of the Jobing Foundation and was funded by a grant. Now, we’ve got to justify those investments with a little thing called return on investment. And in a recession 2009, that return doesn’t just mean ‘creative marketing.’ The means? Webinars, Speeches, and Sponsorships.
5) I’m excited for the Holidays to be over. Don’t get me wrong, they’ve been great. But I’ve got to get back into the swing of things and find the groove again. There’s too much stop and go and chocolate in the season, so I’m glad it’s over.
What are you excited about on this first Friday of 2009?
| Next »