CATEGORY ARCHIVE: 5 things i'm excited about on a friday
5 Things I’m Excited About the Day After Christmas ‘08
December 26, 2008 | by brett | Permalink
It’s Friday, which means I’ve got to share 5 things that I’m excited about with you. Here’s the rundown on the Friday after Christmas.
1) Ice Skating. Today I am getting suckered into going ice skating at Snoopy’s ice arena in Santa Rosa. Gotta keep the girlfriend happy.
2) Getting Back to Work. The one thing I don’t like about the holidays is it takes away time to actually sit down and work. I’m a workaholic. I’m excited about getting back into the swing of things next week and finishing a book proposal, booking our first webinars we’ll be doing, and tidying up loose ends going into ’09.
3) Daniel and Kristy. After seven years of dating, my best friend Daniel Weber decided to drop to a knee and ask Kristy Sather (one of my favorite people in the world) to marry him. I’m excited for them, and for the possibility of future NBA basketball stars. Dan is 6’5, Kristy is 6’2.
4) Making New Year’s Resolutions. Change is always exciting, especially when you’re the one making the changes. I’m excited to sit down and do the cliché thing of making 5 New Year’s Resolutions, even though it feels like I do that every week.
5) Using/Wearing the things I got for Christmas. Among my favorites- new sunglasses and a beverage buggy. Thank you Saint Nick.
What are you excited about?
5 Things I’m Excited About on Friday, December 19th
December 19, 2008 | by brett | Permalink
It’s hard to really, truly be excited about things when there’s so many things to be fearful about. But that’s also why it’s important. Gotta be excited about something.
Here’s my 5 things I’m excited about on this Friday, December 19, 2008.
1) I’m excited to see if we just made a $17 billion mistake with GM and Chrysler.
2) I’m excited for the Jobing.com Holiday Party tonight. I’m most looking forward to meeting the people who put up with the people I put up with every day at work. Aka- ‘significant others.’
3) I’m excited to try out some new technology so Pursue the Passion can make some money and survive. Mainly webinars. More incessant promotion on that later.
4) I’m excited about Facebook. I had as close to an aha moment as you can get last night working late night here in the Jobing headquarters. More incessant promotion on that later.
5) I’m excited about going to Vegas for a UofA (University of Arizona) event packed weekend. The basketball team (who knocked off #4 Gonzaga last weekend) will be playing UNLV in the afternoon. The football team, in their first winning season in a decade (7-5) will be playing BYU in the Vegas Bowl that evening. Anyone say sports book?
Bonus: Zach’s Video of the Day, which airs on our homepage every Friday. Here it is:
What are you excited about?
5 Things I’m Excited About on Friday, 12-12-08
December 12, 2008 | by brett | Permalink
This blog post comes at you live on a beautiful morning in Sahuarita, Arizona. I’m sitting in my Jobing.com car in the McDonald’s parking lot, killing 15 minutes before I make a Pursue the Passion presentation at Sahuarita High School. I figure it’d be a good time to tell you about the 5 things I’m excited about on this Friday.
1) No surprise. I’m excited about speaking to Sahuarita High School. A couple hundred students will listen to me talk about the journey of Pursue the Passion, as well as getting some knowledge as to how they can begin their own career journeys.
2) Class Project. Avid readers of this blog may remember those two words being synonymous with the 2007 tour. Jay and Noah, two of the members on the PTP tour and the duo that makes up the music group Class Project, will be returning to Tucson this Saturday, December 13th to perform at Plush. I’m excited about going down to check those guys out. If you want to check them out, go to their myspace page.
3) New Strategy. Zach and I have been locked up in a room the last couple days throwing ideas around of how we’re going to survive in this economy. I’m excited about some of the ideas that we’ll be attempting to make happen…anyone know a reality show producer?
4) J Rich. Also known as Jason Richardson. Aka- one of my favorite NBA basketball players of all time. I almost cried when he was traded from the Warriors. I’m excited that he was traded to the Phoenix Suns for Raja Bell and Boris Diaw- two of my least favorite players.
5) Transcribing Interviews. This Tuesday I went to Las Vegas for Major League Baseball’s Winter Meetings and did a series of interviews with people trying to break into the industry. These people gave me some incredible content. I’m excited about typing it all out and seeing the end result.
What are you excited about on this Friday?
5 Things I’m Excited About on 12-5-08
December 5, 2008 | by brett | Permalink
It’s Friday, so you know what that means. I bore you with 5 things I’m excited about.
1) I’m excited about spending this weekend at Jobing.com. For real. For those who don’t know, Jobing is one of those companies who invests a crazy amount of time and resources into their people. They’ve developed what is called a Management Development Program (MDP), a ‘mini MBA’ if you will, that is led by the CEO and the SVP over the course of 18 months.
This move to create an in house educational program is really interesting if you think about how a college degree is more common, and less valuable, today than it was fifteen years ago. I believe that corporations will have something similar to Jobing.com’s MDP program in fifteen years. You’ll have people walking around with resumes saying they graduated from Google’s (aka Harvard’s) intensive 18 month educational program. Maybe high school kids will start attending corporate universities instead of college universities. Talk about a scholarship or working your way through school…
Anyways, I’m excited to see what the MDP is all about.
2) I’m excited about trying new things. Yesterday I had a high school classroom read a sample chapter of the Pursue the Passion book. You could tell where the students were interested, and where they were not. Where it slowed, and where it speed up. So I’m excited that (a)They didn’t rip it up, burn it, and stomp on it, and (b) it might work.
3) I’m excited about eating my advent calendar. 5 down, 19 to go.
4) I’m excited to see whether or not Capital Hill sticks to their guns and refuses to bail out the automakers, despite the CEO’s shallow, see through efforts to act like they care about the future. I think it’s the funniest thing in the world that the CEO’s flew corporate jets to the Hill the first time, and then road tripped in hybrids and rode bikes up to the Hill with $1 salaries the second. I’m excited to see what happens.
5) I’m excited that I’m still with Jobing.com a year after I walked through their doors and presented a case of why Pursue the Passion needed to continue. I know I’m considered a corporate suck up if I devote both the 1st and last thing I’m excited about to my employer, but that speaks volumes amount the company’s dedication and devotion to seeing this initiative succeed.
Word. I’m done sucking up on the blog no one reads (see yesterday for the inside joke). What are you excited about?
5 Things I’m Thankful For On The Friday After Thanksgiving
November 28, 2008 | by brett | Permalink
Here’s a funny picture of a turkey, followed by 5 things I’m thankful for.
1) I’m Thankful that I have a job right now.
2) I’m Thankful to be home for Thanksgiving with friends and family. It was great to see everyone yesterday and not be entertained by TV, but by family storytelling until close to midnight. I’m incredibly thankful for great friends and family.
3) I’m Thankful for health. We had this game we played yesterday at the table where everyone had a question they had to answer. My stepdad’s dad had this question: ‘What’s your favorite quote?’ to which he answered, ‘You may leave the hospital now.’ Amen to that. Health and happiness.
4) I’m Thankful for leftovers. Chocolate mouse, brie, stuffing, mashed potatoes, turkey, and pumpkin cheesecake. That’s a deadly combination I’m thankful to partake in a second time.
5) I’m Thankful for not getting duped into shopping on Black Friday. I can’t stand waiting in line, acting in inhumane ways, or really partaking in the tradition of grossly overspending for Christmas gifts. I’m Thankful that our family is drawing names this year.
What are you thankful for?
5 Things I’m Excited About On 11-21-08
November 21, 2008 | by brett | Permalink
It’s Friday. That means I share with you the 5 things I’m excited about. Here it is:
1) The Walter Cronkite School of Journalism at ASU.
Alright. I know I’m a Wildcat. Bear Down. But ASU has trumped any hatred I could have for a rival school when they built the new Walter Cronkite School of Journalism in downtown Phoenix. In the last two days I’ve sat in on a live interview with the building’s architects to learn a little more about how we can improve our Pursue the Passion events. Yesterday I listened to a panel that included Wordpress CEO and creator, Matt Mullenweg, and Lisa Stone, co-founder and CEO of BlogHer talk about the future of the internet as it relates to journalism. I hope to take advantage of the facility that’s open 24/7 again today as I listen in on a live interview with Jim Leher and Robert MacNeil. And then I hope Pursue the Passion can weigh in on the entrepreneurial aspects of journalism if either Jody Brannon or Dan Gillmor are interested.
Is that five things yet?
2) National FBLA Convention
Today I’ll be making three different 45 minute speeches at the National FBLA Convention. Two will be to the 1,000 students in attendance, one will be to the 125 teachers. I’m excited about trying some new material, but not excited about the suit they’re making me wear.
3) The Future of Journalism
Matt Mullenweg, the aforementioned CEO, said a shocking thing about the future of journalism yesterday. He said that the gap between those who know how to script (aka website coding) and those who don’t will be like the gap between those who know how to read today and those who don’t. In order words, if you’re a journalist, you have to know how to read and write script as well. Because 7 year olds are blogging right now, and if you’re not with it, then you’ll be left out of a lot of conversations in the future.
So I’m excited to see how that statement pans out.
4) I’m excited about going home to Santa Rosa for Thanksgiving.
5) I’m excited about the book that I continue to tinker with, and continue to try and get right.
To give you an idea on what the book will be like, everything that is said in the video below appears in a chapter called ‘Childhood.’
And, what are you excited about?
5 Things I’m Excited About on a Friday (It’s Back)
November 14, 2008 | by brett | Permalink
I have not posted a ‘5 Things I’m Excited About on a Friday’ to this blog since my experience at the Sheridan Penitentiary during last year’s Pursue the Passion tour. I think the column came to an end when I began to feel guilty for having excitement on Fridays when the prisoners I met had nothing to look forward to. I wrote the column off as corny. But with the encouragement of my partner in crime, Zach Hubbell, the column has been revived and I proudly present to you the five things I’m excited about on this Friday, November 14, 2008.
1) I’m excited that Pursue the Passion will be a keynote speaker at the 2009 Colorado SHRM conference in October. And I’m really excited about debuting the Pursue the Passion book to the 500+ HR attendees.
2) I’m excited about being a Principal for a day next week at North Canyon High School. I don’t think that school will ever be the same after I’m through with them.
3) I’m excited about having a new post on this blog every day, from either Zach, myself, or a student in our program, from now on. Zach came to me this week and said that we have to create new content every day, so I’m excited to see what we come up with.
4) I’m excited about today. Zach and I are going to be barnstorming a business in Phoenix to interview them about their job. I don’t know what company we’re going to, or who we’re going to run into, which is why it’ll will be a great video for your viewing pleasure come next Friday.
5) I’m excited about the video below. Zach tried out a new style, and I think it worked. I don’t know, why don’t you comment below to let us know what you think…and while you’re at it, what are you excited about?
Five Things I’m Excited About
August 24, 2007 | by brett | Permalink
This is a good Friday five today. For those of you who are new to the blog, I name off the top five things that I’m excited about, and I encourage my readers to do the same. So without further adieu, here’s the list:
1) Going to the Notre Dame football game with four press passes. When I first requested the passes, I was referred to another person. Then another. Then another. The fourth person I talked with told me that requesting four press passes to the first Notre Dame football game of the season was a tall order for the New York Times.
But low and behold, Pursue the Passion will be in the Press Box when Notre Dame takes the field on September 1st. I could cry excitement just thinking about that game. I feel like Rudy.
2) We are in Madison today. I’ve never been to Madison, which is one of the top college towns in the nation. I’m excited about seeing what State street and the Badgers are all about.
3) We will be in Chicago on Sunday, the 26th through Friday the 31st. Chicago is one of my favorite cities. Last year we had twenty-one interviews, and I’m excited about reuniting with some of those folks while meeting many more passionate Chicagoans.
4) One of the things we’ll be doing in Chicago is going to the Sheridan State Penitentiary to interview a guest speaker…in prison. I’ve never been to a prison before. We’ll be in the actual prison, hearing this man, a former maximum security inmate turned warden, deliver his message to the inmates and us. That will be inspiring, and a humbling experience.
5) If you haven’t already seen it, we have VIDEO on our site now! Check out the interview blog and see for yourself. Our writeups have come to life through some excellent video content Zach and Jay are producing daily. I’m excited because we will have some form of video up every day for you to actually join the journey, and see what we see in our interviews. That is like, the coolest thing ever for me.
Here is just one of the many to come:
What are you excited about today?
Friday Five from Vegas
August 17, 2007 | by brett | Permalink
It’s time to get excited again. It’s Friday! Here are the five things I am excited about on the first Friday of the second leg of our tour, coming at you live from Las Vegas.
5) Starting the second leg of our tour. If the first month of the journey proves to be reflective of what’s to come, then we are all in for a treat. Ten thousand miles, thirty cities, and over a hundred and twenty interviews is what has me bubbling on this first day of the second leg.
And its going to sound corny/stupid/unbelievable, but I’m exciting to be living in a RV again. I missed crashing on the couch and parking places never known to be RV suitable. It’s good to be on the road again.
4) I’m excited to have made it through a little RV adversity yesterday. About thirty miles into our two month adventure, we find ourselves caught in a harsh dust storm in Phoenix. After hearing a loud WHAM, I look at our side mirror to see that the RV’s awning has unfolded itself and has extended about six feet. I yelled at Zach to pull over, which he did, and we got out to a face full of dust and strong winds. One of the awning legs had completely snapped off, which was duck taped back together, as was the awning that had defiantly disclosed itself.
Zach looked like Rambo up on the roof when he was fixing everything. With duck tape in between his teeth, wind threatening and him hanging off the side…it was truly an action packed moment. I’m excited that we made it through that dust storm, that the duct tape held up, and that Zach is the man.
3) I don’t think I’ve ever been this excited for a line up of interviews like we have today.
Gamal Aziz, COO of MGM Grand, a guy who came from Egypt after earning his bachelors degree at the University of Cairo to Las Vegas to become one of the most respected leaders in the gaming industry.
Renee West, President of Excalibur, is the first female executive to oversee operations of a property on the Las Vegas strip.
Robyn Williams, Founder of ChoiceCenter Worldwide, who developed a training center designed for high performers like athletes, Fortune 500 COO’s, and other business execs.
Noah is also going to interview the Production Manager for Spam-a-lot, the Broadway like show playing at the Wynn Resort. It should be quite a day.
2) I’m stoked that we are heading to Mount Rushmore on Sunday. None of us have ever been, so it should be pretty cool.
1) I’m excited that Danielle Ouellette, an avid reader and consistent commenter on this site, conducted her own Pursue the Passion-like interview in Boston. Danielle, a junior in college, is the first student to participate in a program I’m trying to develop, which connects students with alumni and members of the community for interviews and advice. Cheers to getting a program like this its first baby step.
What is something you’re excited about on a Friday?
August 10, 2007 | by brett | Permalink
For those of you who are like me, who often lose track of what day it is, I got news for you…it’s Friday. And when it’s Friday on this blog, you have to read about the five things I’m excited about.
Love it or hate it, here are the five things I’m excited about today.
5) You know you’re old when you’re excited about getting your oil changed. But I am. We’ve traveled over 5,000 miles in our RV, and I’m excited about getting the oil changed because I don’t want that thing breaking down on us.
4) I’m still excited about the “blockbuster” scheduling deal we pulled off earlier in the week. For those of you who didn’t read about it in the news, we traded Lawrence, Kansas for Mount Rushmore and Minneapolis. Check out our tour schedule to see the implications.
3) My mom and little sister are coming to town tomorrow, and I’m excited about having them. I’m especially enthusiastic about the trip because my little sis is looking for a job right now, and I’m going to spend the weekend trying to recruit her onto the PTP team.
So you might see another Farmiloe in the mix soon.
2) Yesterday I found a great coffee shop to work in. I love to work in coffee shops because there is so much caffeinated energy I can feed off of without ever taking a sip of espresso. I’m excited about making that place my home base.
1) The number one thing I’m excited about is that I get to interviewer a rapper later today. Noah Pollock lined up an interview with Living Legend member “Lucky I Am” while the group is in Arizona on their “Paid Dues” tour. It’s cool to think that this Friday I’m interviewing a rapper, and next Friday I’ll be interviewing the CEO of MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Damn I love diversity.
What are you excited about today?